I get around.
Ok, to be honest, I hardly ever leave the three kilometre radius around my house. Or my studio. Have I shown you my studio?
I work here:
If you want to encounter me live… here are some opportunities:
May 13-20, 2018 – I AM IN RENO AT THE ROMANTIC TIMES BOOKLOVERS CONFERENCE!! I don’t apologize for the all-caps and shouting–I went to RT for the first time in 2017, and it rocked my world and changed my life (you can read about it here: Diary of an RT Virgin). I’m still taking a pretty low-key approach to RT and I’m not presenting or doing any mega-events, but this year I’m participating in the FAN-tastic Author Day event and I’m signing at the GIANT BOOK FAIR (I’m terrified) and I’ve contributed a raffle basket to the RT Bazaar. I think it might have a vibrator in it. Do you think I’m allowed to do that?
June 2 — I’m going to be peddling smut–er, books–at the Local Calgary and Area Author Book Fair sponsored by the Alberta Romance Writers Association at Symons Valley United Church, in north Calgary. Come say hi, buy some books, meet some new-to-you writers. For more information, contact ARWA President Tammy Lyn Carbol at firstname.lastname@example.org.
June 24, 2018 — Kittens! It’s time for SULTRY & sweet SUMMER reads YYC!
Visit mjanecolette/SultrySummer for more details!
July 18-21, 2018 — I am in Denver, Colorado for my first ever ROMANCE WRITERS OF AMERICA annual conference. I have no idea what to expect. I’ll report in full after.
August 10-12, 2018 – It’s time for the Eighth Annual WHEN WORDS COLLIDE—the little Calgary reader-writer con that changed my life. I’ll be presenting, moderating, helping out with the CaRWA (the Calgary chapter of the Romance Writers of America) table, organizing the Merchants’ Corner, and other things. Wanna have a peek my my workshops?
The Organized Creative: planning your writing (creative and business) year – quarter – month – week – and finally day
M. Jane Colette
This hands-on workshop will show you how to organize your days by realistically planning your year, and working backwards-and-forwards throughout the year to stay on track with your goals. You will also learn how to track and maximize your productivity cycles, use a process journal, value your lazy fallow periods, and use your procrastination to nurture inspiration. (will need projector)
Kink, BDSM, Consent, and Feminism in the Romance and Genre Novels
Jenna Howard, Alyssa Linn Palmer, JD Poots (to be confirmed), Randy Ryder – moderated by M. Jane Colette
After #metoo, consent’s a hot topic for writers and readers alike. What’s the author’s responsibility when writing fantasy—in romance and other genres—and how does it mesh with reader desires and expectations? This dynamic panel will tackle the most contentious issues in writing and reading on the edge with inside insight. (We would suggest 18+ given the topics we will cover – and not recording it as content will probably not be suitable for all ages)
The REAL Diversity Panel [working title]
Tet Millare, Adora Nwofor*, Tiffany Sostar*, Emily Varga – moderated by M. Jane Colette
Writing diversely starts with living diversely and writing diversely. Join our panel of writers, activists and readers to discuss the role of readers and writers in shaping the world we want to live in through what we read and write and create in our art.
*confirmed in principle; we’re still working out the timing
What is RWA and How Can it Help You?
Jill Flanagan, Jenna Howard, Shelley Kassian, and Alyssa Linn Palmer – moderated by M. Jane Colette
Are you a romance reader or writer? Ever wonder if there is a huge, international organization devoted to connecting romance readers and writers around the globe achieve their goals? There is. Romance Writers of America has chapters around the world, as well as large online communities. Join us and find out how it might be a good fit for you!
December 2018 — TEXT ME, CUPID LAUNCH PARTY! It will be EPIC! I just don’t know where or when yet. Stay tuned.
DAMMIT, YOU MISSED ME! Some great stuff from the past:
February 10, 2018 – The Alberta Romance Writers Association asked me to host a workshop on how to write erotica. It’s going to be dirty. Just a little… RESCHEDULED FOR MARCH 10
February 12, 2018–I’m at Owl’s Nest Books in Calgary with YYC Queer Writers. Roses, cupid’s arrows, chocolate—chocolate? Screw chocolate! Queer up Valentine’s Day instead with these hilarious, heartbreaking (yes, sometimes deliciously filthy) valentines by Calgary authors who have a fresh, occasionally revolutionary (always, insightful) take on love.
February 14, 2018 – Valentine’s Day Proper–I’m back at Owl’s Nest. This time… I’m being… BLOODY OFFENSIVE, with five other silver-tongued femmes. Come see. But be careful. You might get wet or lose your pants.March 10, 2018 – I’m back at the Alberta Romance Writers Association, this time, delivering my proto THE ORGANIZED CREATIVE workshop. Curious what it’s about? Me too. PROTO=prototype, and I’m still… incubating. This is the general idea though:
The Organized Creative: planning your writing (creative and business) year – quarter – month – year – and finally day. This hands-on workshop will show you how to organize your days by realistically planning your year, and working backwards-and-forwards throughout the year to stay on track with your goals. You will also learn how to track and maximize your productivity cycles, use a process journal, value your lazy fallow periods, and use your procrastination to nurture inspiration. Some materials will be provided, but bring your day planner or calendar, a crappy, cheap notebook (this is important: not a beautiful, expensive notebook—a cheap, crappy notebook), pens and pencils (the more colourful the better), and index cards and sticky notes.
- February 9, 2018 – I was part of Cameron Allie fabulous pre-Valentine’s Day Party on Facebook, so I can do it without leaving my house!
- January 13, 2018 – Naked Girls Reading Calgary presented EROTICA and Keely Kamikaze read a sizzling excerpt from Text Me, Cupid Episode One: Messy Christmas.
- December 21, 2017 – One of the anthology contributors, Tet Millare and I talked about Queer Christmas in Cowtown on CBC Radio
- December 11, 2017 – Queer Christmas in Cowtown Launch!!
- December 4, 2017 – Joshua Pantalleresco of the podcast Just Joshing released the podcasts of our conversation:
- Just Joshing: Episode 138–M. Jane Colette is one hell of a writer. In Part 1 we talk about her start in the writing industry, freelancing, talking to people, and rejections among many other cool things.
- Just Joshing: Episode 139–M. Jane and I talk about the new age of writing, Dr. Death, ruthlessness with one’s own work, word counts and much, much more.
- November 9-13, 2017 – Keely Kamikaze’s fabulous The Naked Girls Reading debut at Taboo: The Naughty But Nice Sex Show featured readings from Tell Me ALL WEEKEND!
- November 6, 2017 – I talked about kink, bdsm, poly and the universe on the Consensually Speaking With Gio podcast. Ever been interviewed by a sadistic dom? No? I highly recommend it. You can listen to our (very long and meandering) conversation here: Episode 9: Poly relationships, BDSM classifications, social realistic erotica, and more! Join me and erotica author M Jane Colette as we talk about kinky lifestyles and realistic kink in life!
- October 24, 2017 – M. Jane Colette on writing, blogging, sexting your way to true love and surrender at Owl’s Nest Books aka my “I’m sorry I didn’t throw you a launch party for Cherry Pie Cure and Consequences” appearance
- October 21 – CaRWA North!
- September 22-November 25, 2017 – Consequences audioBOOK blogTOUR
- September 19, 2017 – How To Work A Conference, Calgary Association of the Romance Writers of America
- August 11-13, 2017 – When Words Collide 2017
- June 8, 2017 – Ignite Festival of Emerging Artists’ Sleaze Night
- May 25, 2017 – Romantic Times Convention Report: how Kathryn Falk’s “Disneyland for Romance Readers” can accelerate your writing career by a year—or five, presented for the Alberta Romance Writers’ Association
- May 6-12, 2017 Romantic Times Booklovers Convention 2017
- February 1, 2017 – More Than A Guilty Pleasure: Reading and Writing Romance and Erotica in the Age of Plentiful Cyber Porn (with Alyssa Linn Palmer, at Owl’s Nest)–this was SO FUN
- December 6, 2016 – Tell Me Launch Party at Gravity Pope. WOW!!
I throw really great launch parties and deliver terrific workshops and totally subvert what an author book signing is supposed to look like, and I’m open to all unreasonable invitations.
Make an offer at TellMe @ mjanecolette.com